Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Taking the Bitter Pill of Loving Advice

When I was a wee one, my mother and I had many discussions on what was appropriate attire. I often felt that a crinoline was called for on social occasions. My mother was hoping for slacks. Sometimes these discussions turned ugly, but mostly they were discussions. We knew each other's position on the matter, and that was that.

Until I was in my early twenties. And started looking at the old photos. And needing income. Suddenly I realized my mother was a flipping sartorial genius. Throughout the photographs from the 1980's my mother is a fox. I am an extra from Rocky Horror Picture Show. Sure, it's kinda' cool, but I'm glad I moved on.

All of this is to say that sometimes it is hard to take well-meant advice. Which is why I want to congratulate the UU Fellowship of Fredericksburg, Virginia. I am a monthly guest in their pulpit through May. Last month I shared with them some ways they might not be as welcoming as they would like, including their website. For some, it was uncomfortable news. For others it was all they needed to unleash their creative sides.

Check out the newly revamped website of this feisty congregation. This photo is from their Hogwarts Thanksgiving. Nice work, y'all!!!

No comments: