Saturday, June 03, 2006

Prepared Parents

My neighborhood has been rocked by the sudden death of Margie Robinson-Jeter age 41, married and mother of two beautiful children under the age of 10. She was a talented, beautiful, compassionate woman. I had only met her in a few large social occasions and did not know her personally, but I know some of her friends. And I know many parents of small children.

As a minister, I often remind my older congregants to have their affairs in order: wills, medical directives, funeral wishes. I make files with members' names on them that have favorite hymns scribbled on the backs of envelopes, people they'd like to speak, the type of flower they've always despised. And never once have I told the scores of parents of our nursey age children. Never once have I held a workshop for young parents on how to leave a legacy for their children in case something unthinkable happens. That changes now.

As adults, to be responsible in our love for our families, children, and/or friends we need to prepare for our death at any age. Margie's friends say that she had done some of this and it helped her family. Those of us who have been touched by her death, even if only peripherally have been talking about what we want and need to have in place. Please do the same for the sake of your family, for the sake of your children, and in honor of all parents like Margie.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is very sweet... and very smart. Thanks for the effort to make something good from this sad, sad event.

Love the blog! More CD reviews! You're obviously a insightful critic and an impeccable judge of music.