Wednesday, October 04, 2006

State Fair disgusts with more than Fried Twinkies

I know way too much about the Virginia State Fair. We live close to the current fairgrounds and have been going regularly since the news that the Fair would be moving. That was 4 years ago. It's still there. We're still going.

The Fair was a bit of a bummer this year in comparison with the last three. The kiddie size midway rides are in horrible disrepair. Lots of duct tape, missing lights, and broken planes, lady bugs, and train cars on every ride.

It seemed like there was less landscaping throughout the fairgrounds. In previous years there have been beautiful little islands of horticulture sprinkled amongst the pig poop, pork rinds, and BBQ stands. (For those of you reading in other states - Virginia= pork products.) This year it was all pig, all the time.

But the worst of all would be the apparent motto of this year's State Fair: Celebrating Virginia's Past, Current, and Future Legacy of Bigotry. I saw men, women, and children between the ages of 4 and 64 wearing I Support Confederate History Month stickers and Marriage = One man, One woman stickers. I know the "I carry a gun so I can not only disagree with you... I can shoot you" stickers must have been somewhere not far behind.

Would you like a little intolerance with your deep fried dough?

That said, Baby Girl loved the rabbits. Little Man would have spent the night there if we had let him. We saw, of all things, jazz delights Chez Roue perform. And yours truly did go down the big slide.

Three times.

As for the fried oreos, not what I'd expected. We are saving Fried Twinkies and Spaghetti on a Stick for next year when I am lobbying for the theme: Virginia - 400 years of Intolerance was more than enough. It's a NEW DAY.

I am also lobbying for a bigger slide.

No comments: