Sunday, June 15, 2008

The Spouse's Surprise

Came home tonight to find my husband watching The Incredibles. That's odd. He has seen that movie 20 times with the kids and begs them to watch ANYTHING else.

I walk in the door and he's grinning in front of The Incredibles. Turns out that through hard work, coupon acquisition, internet research, and good luck we have TV again. Hi-def even. We have 12 channels or something. He was doing channel inventory, not watching.

I tried to be supportive and enthusiastic. We were just hours away from Father's Day, after all. But since we de-cabled, I've moved beyond TV. I've developed other interests. I have become immune to the lure of the idiot box.

Wait. Wait! Go back. Was that EastEnders? SWEET! No. Don't turn it off. Let me just see a second... minute... episode or two.

For those of you who are not British or have cable: EastEnders is a long running Brit soap opera about a working class neighborhood. It shows up on PBS late night. I love it. I watched a bunch when I was pregnant.

I don't know who anyone is. I can't understand half the accents. The episodes run in willy nilly order so I can't keep up with it. The clothes and hair are anti-glam and garish. And the credit music is ridiculous.

Love it.
Quote of the night, "Why down't you goin geyt yo glad rags on, shweetie. Show day boys whot's whot."
What the?
Oddly, the spouse was not as enchanted. He did however approve when the glad rags outfit entered the scene.

4 comments:

Lizard Eater said...

What are you doing up at 1 am??? ;)

Anonymous said...

I love British shows. One of the only reasons I keep cable - well, that and soccer. Coupling and Doctor Who are two of my favorites currently running. Wish they still showed Fawlty Towers.

Guy Wonders said...

A number of years ago, I developed a similar affinity for East Enders. The local PBS station was having a marathon of EE episodes. Thankfully, it was during the winter, so the addiction didn't get in the way of things too much. I did, however, make a donation to PBS and received an official East Enders coffee mug in appreciation (still have it somewhere, too).

Eventually, the station stopped showing it - but it resurfaced a few years ago on BBC Canada. Some of the characters had changed and I lost the story lines. Like you, I don't watch much TV these days, but it's always fun when I run across it and hear the opening theme music. . . .

The Jotter said...

Lizard Eater, my next post explains my being up. And this is me refraining from asking you the same question.

Michael, the greatest loss when we got rid of the cable was BBC America. I loved it all - Cash in the Attic, Father Ted, Graham Norton. I don't even know what Doctor is, but I'd love to try it.

And Mr. Wonders - check out the BBC website for EE and you'll feel much better about the inability to keep up. The character list reads like a phone book. Have a chocolate milk in the mug for me when you find it!