Monday, September 25, 2006

I am My Own Wife at Firehouse Theatre

The Performing Arts Circle went to see the Firehouse Theatre Production of I Am My Own Wife. Some of you may recall that we intended to see the Richmond Triangle Players' Production of Sordid Lives. They were sold out, so I just said, "Hey, you can go two blocks down and see ANOTHER play with a man in drag!" The Performing Arts Circle is full of flexible people just looking for a good play with somebody in a dress, so they said, "No prob."

After 4 book groups, an Adventure Circle foray into the Heart of Darkness, and hearing 5 bands in a week(see next post), I went home to rest while the group checked out the play. Sunday AM rolled around and they all agreed that:
a) it was a great play, b) Scott Wichmann is a genius of an actor, and (c) you and I have to go see it.

Oddly enough, I have the autobiography of Charlotte von Mahlsdorf which inspired the playwright. In German it is Ich bin meine eigene Frau, which I always translated as "I am my own woman." Personally, the idea of being my own woman is far more appealing than being my own wife, but I guess I'm not a post Nazi, height of Stasi, German transvestite, so what do I know?

No comments: