Saturday, May 19, 2007

GA in Portland, new attendance records?


Lots of buzz about how many people will be attending our General Assembly of the Unitarian Universalist Association in Portland, Oregon this June. Preliminary reports indicate we could get as high as 6,000. Wow.

So, I'm wondering... what put people over the edge, convincing them to make the trip and shell out the bucks? Are GA's just getting better because our moderator is so wicked cool? (Definitely a possibility in my book.) Is 2007 the year when EVERYONE wants to attend a workshop on governance, and GA just seems like the place to do it? (That must be it!) Or is there something about Portland?



Here are the top 8 reasons I think UU's want to go to Portland this summer:

1) The public transportation
2) Vineyards
3) Family friendly brew pubs
4) Test the green convention concept
5) New Seasons Market and organic-palooza
6) Nice weather
7) Live music
8) Great tattoo parlors



So I guess the real question is not "Why Portland?" The real question is: why on EARTH are we going back to Salt Lake City in '09?
(Oh, and I'll be in Portland for reasons 9, 10, and 11: college buddy producing first spawn in June, family in the area, and my entire cabin from SWIM '06 is having a family reunion during GA. And, of course, to cheer on our moderator. I'm thinking of making FOG buttons. You figure it out.)