Sunday, February 24, 2008

A Moment in Time

As many of my regular readers know, my professional expertise lies primarily in death and dying. That makes for some weird blogs. There are my funeral directors' convention blog entries, my weighing in on celebrity death and dying, my trip to Virginia Tech last April, and those are just last year's blogs.



I managed to find something up my alley at the quilt show this year. This is a quilt that is all headstones and epitaphs.



But I am not always morbid. One thing that this specialty has helped with is my appreciation of the mundane. Every single day I find something that makes me stop and think: this is a wonderful part of being alive. I really do stop and smell flowers all the time. And I love pictures and video because they are little windows into the beauty of our lives.

When I was downloading the camera from the quilt show, I found this little clip. I think it is incredibly beautiful in its completely normal moment. We were at dinner at a friend's house. There were 6 adults, 5 kids ages 2-9 and one dog. The screaming in the background is from the boys playing pirates. This was just a second before we all sat down to eat. It is so normal, but as it was happening I thought it was lovely enough to film. Then again, forty minutes later I was on my way to a funeral home for two visitations of old friends...





I love those little every day moments. They are the precious saffron of life.

No comments: