Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Minute 16 Entered After Decades of Expectation

If WNYU radio does its work, my fabulous super-stardom will be officially over. I was interviewed in Central Park on Sunday on the subject of "The Ballad of John Henry" and responded with some nonsensical groupie rant about the Drive-By Truckers. If aired, this will mark the final minute of my Warholian 15. How apt that it be in NYC.

Unlike many, I chose to do my fifteen one minute at a time over a 20 year period. Some highlights include: Minute 1 when I was a dancer in a troupe who opened for LL Cool J, Minute 6 when I was immortalized in a true crime novel, and Minute 12 when my children and I were on the local paper's front page as pro-choice supporters.

It's been a good run, but I'm ready to step out of the dim 10 watt bulb of the minute-at-a-time limelight. In my upcoming anonymity I plan to clean out my kitchen, write more often to my grandmother in Florida, and work on my Spanish. In years to come, you will not see me on a "Where are they now?" special relishing Minute 2 as a performance artist or my 10th minute cameo in a PBS news blurb on schools and volunteers.

No, fame like mine comes at a price, and I will spend the next few decades recovering from the frantic biannual pace of blink-and-you'll-miss-her stardom.

No comments: